Timeline Part Two: up to World War II
1909 Construction south of Studley Park Rd of Howard St to service new houses as part of subdivisions, either side, of former Oakwood mansion (subdivided later in 1933) and Frederick W Howard's Leaghur estate. In 1926 Prime Minister Robert Menzies purchased No 10 Howard St constructed on the subdivision in 1912, and the Menzies family lived there between 1928 and 1950.
1915 Closure of Yarra Bend Asylum and formation of the Studley Park Board of Management
1920 Banool mansion formerly belonging to Geoffrey and Violet Syme pulled down to create Banool Avenue
1924 Renumbering of Molesworth St
1920s Construction of No 44 Studley Park Rd in 1925 and No 52 in 1928 for Sydney Andrew, a prominent furniture manufacturer
1927 Sale of allotments from the Stevenson Heights Estate, the area bordered by Hodgson Street, Stevenson Street, Carson Street and Studley Park Rd. These had presviously been unsuccessfully offered for sale as the Glendalough Estate in 1924 by Dr Murphy.
1933 Work commences on the Yarra Boulevard, constructed as part of a 'work for sustenance' plan of the Nationalist Government during the Depression. Workers begin to carve a road between Johnston Street and the old Outer
1936 Yarra Boulevard opens, providing view of the river valley and access to the popular Studley Park Boathouse and other recreational facilities. The road enables development of the land adjacent to the river and Molesworth and Yarravale Rd (and quite a bit later, Yarra St,) are extended to the Boulevard.
1940 Division of Yarra Bluffs mansion into 21 to 27 Redmond St
1940 Milfay Avenue subdivided
Advertised as the Boulevard Estate, thirty 'supreme sites' on a subdivision bounded by Holroyd (previously Conran) Street, Studley Avenue, Yarravale Road and The Belvedere are auctioned on 1 June.
1943 Town Clerk, W.D. Birrell urges council to propose removal of the Kew Asylum and replacement by a subdivision
1942 Lot 7 Boulevard Estate (later known as 2 Belvedere St and then 28 Holroyd St) constructed for Norman Smorgon. During the 1950s his sons settle in Holroyd St and Studley Park Rd.